Scratch Resistant + Water Based + Easy Cleanup!
When looking to give your painted pieces superior protection from scratches and scuffs you can trust The Chippy Barn’s Ultra-Tough Topcoat to provide the superior protection you’ve been looking for! Available in Flat, Satin, Gloss & our all New ULTRA Flat! Please Note: Flat UTTC will have a slight sheen as it is not a dead flat. ULTRA Flat is approximately 15% flatter then our regular Flat sheen but will still have a slight sheen to it. We suggest not using Ultra Flat on white painted surfaces. We always suggest Spraying Ultra Tough Top Coat for the Smoothest finish as brushing can cause air bubbles and unevenness. Never roll Ultra Tough Top Coat. Ultra Tough Top Coat is not for use on table tops, bathroom vanities, sink areas or anywhere water has the potential to lay on the surface as Ultra Tough Top Coat is a water base finish.
1. Ultra Tough Top Coat is a professional grade acrylic urethane formulation designed for spray applications in dry areas! Spray all finishes with Ultra Tough Top Coat for the smoothest finish and do not brush or roll! Make sure to completely seal your wooden pieces with Bulls Eye clear Shellac or another type of tannin blocking primer before painting with light colors to ensure you do not get discoloration, yellowing, browning, or tannin bleed through into your painted surface when using a water base top coat. (Steps are: Clean piece thoroughly, apply clear Shellac, then paint your piece, then seal with UTTC.) Ultra Tough Top coat is a water base top coat. Be careful not to allow any pooling of top coat in crevices and ornate details as you may get some discoloration due to excessive top coat build up in these areas.
***Please know that when using a water base top coat the water in the top coat may possibly pull tannins into your painted surface and cause discoloration of your painted surface such as yellowing and browning unless your wooden piece is completely sealed with shellac or its equal prior to painting. Mahogany, Cherry, and many other types of wood will cause this discoloration unless sealed in before painting and using a water base top coat such as Ultra Tough Top Coat.
2. We recommend to always spraying Ultra Tough Top Coat for the smoothest finish and do not brush or roll. UTTC is for finishes in dry areas indoors and not for use on table tops, bathroom vanities, sink areas etc. where water has the potential to lay on it being UTTC is a water base finish. If doing cabinets and large surfaces you must spray UTTC for the Smoothest finish. Spraying will always produce the best finish. Under ideal condition (70ºF, low humidity) you can re-coat in two hours. Always spray UTTC and Do NOT brush or roll Ultra Tough Top Coat. If you brush or roll UTTC you will be using in a manner we do not recommend.
3. Apply 2-3 thin coats for max protection, sanding with a fine grit sandpaper in between coats.
4. If applying UTTC over a painted piece be sure to completely seal your piece first with Bulls Eye clear brushable Shellac or a high grade shellac base primer before painting to prevent any tannin bleed through into your painted surface and also then into UTTC causing discoloration or yellowing into your UTTC water base finish.
5. Spraying UTTC: Spray medium wet films 3-4 mil thickness. Spray compressed air 0.40” fluid tip/medium cap: HVLP; 0.043-0.051” fluid tip/medium cap; Airless or Air Assist: 0.009-0.011” tip. Sand with #320 grit sterated or finer between coats, 3 coats minimum recommended. Remove dust before recoating. Do not use tack rags to remove dust. Ultra Tough Top Coat may be used over most solvent and water based stains. Allow stain to dry thoroughly before sealing. Allow solvent based stains 48-72 hours dry time. Additional coats may be applied to increase depth and durability. Drying times: 30 minutes to touch, time to sand and recoat 1-2 hours, light use 7-10 days, until cured 21 days. Estimates based off 70 degrees F and 50% RH. (Cooler temperatures will prolong dry time up to 4-6 hours.)
6. Please note that The Chippy Barns' UTTC is a professional finish Acrylic Urethane formulation. Flat UTTC will have a slight sheen to it. Spraying UTTC is always recommended!
7. For a well mixed topcoat, your stir stick should not show any material left on the bottom of the stick when removed.
8. Reduce up to 20% with distilled water or reducer if needed.
9. After application, keep surface away from moisture and heat.